We hear about so much stuff from all over the world. This is a compendium of what we think you'd like to know, including timely travel deals and offers. Bookmark this page! We'll be updating it on the regular.
TRIPS TO BOOK
- Paris and London: Need an excuse for a last-minute city break? , the luxury apartment rental and concierge service, is offering up to 30 percent on stays of up to five nights or more through September 25, 2017.
- Big Sur, California: Take to the skies with a chopper ride over one of the USA's most stunning landscapes. While Highway 1 is undergoing repairs, the iconic southern route to Big Sur is accessible to guests of via helicopter from Hearst Castle Pergola in San Simeon, California. The Hearst Castle helicopter package is available through October 7, 2017.
- Scandinavia: Go see what all the fuss is about in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo. , with deals from $499 round-trip for travel between their seven US gateways and Europe from October 4 and May 31. Don't wait: The sale ends August 24.
- Cartagena: If you haven't been to Colombia yet, here's a great reason to head down. Our pals at Skylark scored a great airfare--hotel deal at the chic and charming . (You'll have to join Skylark to get the rates.)
- Marfa, Texas: For Burning Man vibes in the West Texas desert, head to the 12th annual . The communal, nomadic campground concept (guests sleep in vintage trailers, Sioux-style tepees, yurts, and safari tents) runs from September 28 to October 1, 2017.
- Chesapeake Bay, Maryland: Classic car aficionados will want to head to from September 21-26 for the return of the Concours d'Elgance. The hotel is celebrating the three-day event with a .
- Asia: If you've got a spare $64,888 in a cupboard somewhere, consider 17-day, Aman Hotels journey through Asia. Sixteen people will fly private jet and hotel-hop from China to Bhutan to India to Sri Lanka from October 8-24. If you want even more, the 21-day trip in April includes Vietnam, Thailand, Montenegro, and Japan.
- Southeast Asia: Another reason to fly east in the spring: May is the kickoff for planting season in Cambodia and Vietnam. Get your fill of lush tropical landscapes on an Mekong River cruise during "green season." Book now to take advantage of the departures between May 1-July 27, 2018.
WHERE WE'VE BEEN
- I went on a grand hotel tour in London last July. In brief: I spent opening night at , the chain's first standalone hotel, where I loved the calm Zen vibe and the brass fittings in the bathroom (really! they were gorgeous!). I toured the don't-call-it-a-Soho-House and tried to count the 400 restaurants in the former bank building (kidding, though barely). I previewed the trippy , which has the best multi-beast taxidermied kangaroo-deer-peacock I've ever seen, as well as a beautiful atrium with hanging vines. I found to be as great as Popupla contributing editor Christina Ohly says it is. And I had my best meal of the trip at chef Ollie Dabbous's restaurant at super charming in Covent Garden. That is all. – Pavia, CEO
- I have a long list of cute Hudson Valley B&Bs to check out, but had a helluva time finding one that allows kids. One of our 24 Best Travel Blogs & Websites, , tipped me off to , a very cozy, 280-year-old farmhouse in Wallkill, run by a cool couple who outfitted five bedrooms and a cottage with chic furniture, Aesop toiletries, coffee table books, and taxidermy. They make a killer breakfast, converted a pool into a natural swimming hole (with frogs!) and set up a few hammocks, walking paths, and a fire pit in their big backyard. Looking forward to going back once snow falls. – Jeralyn, editorial director
- I checked into to the recently opened , a budget-friendly property on the border of Bushwick and Bed-Stuy with a charming back garden, decent lobby bar, and community-oriented performance space. I'm glad that more boutique hotels are popping up in Brooklyn, especially outside Williamsburg, though this one felt more like a step above a hostel than anything else. Still, being able to earn a free night stay by donating to , the hotel's partner philanthropic initiative, is a nice way to book an affordable room in the heart of Brooklyn. – Daniel, editorial assistant
- We've got our eye on the late August arrival of , a new hotel concept from former Viceroy Hotels CEO Brad Korzen and his design superstar wife Kelly Wearstler. Also in the pipeline are outposts in Hollywood, Downtown LA, Austin, and Santa Monica.
- Later this month, , an 18th-century Portuguese palace-turned-hotel will be making its debut in the heart of Lisbon.
- Renowned Danish ballet dancer Alexander Kølpin is behind the fall opening of , a stunning 54-room boutique hotel in Copenhagen's historic center.
- is making a big commitment to Tokyo. Come 2020, the Ian Schrager-designed boutique will open not one, but two new properties.
- How can you go on safari without using a year's worth of vacation days? is a good option. In six days, you'll see a Discovery Channel checklist: the Serengeti plains, the Ngorongoro crater, a Masaai tribe, and, of course, amazing wildlife. It's available year-round, but if you want to see the Great Migration, go between June and November. Rates begin at $5,283.
- It's not too late to — the first in decades. On August 21, 2017, the newly opened Anvil Hotel in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, will host a jam-packed day of fun events, including a moon-flow yoga class, local bands, and a tailgate lunch. Individual tickets are $375 and can be reserved by calling the hotel directly, or come for a four-night stay, which starts at $1,145.
- At LE Miami last month, we learned about , a gorgeous eco-minded retreat in southern Spain. From August 18-22, they're hosting their first , five days of concerts, yoga,workshops, tapas, and vino. The big idea? To connect by disconnecting. Sounds like an excellent excuse to go see it all firsthand.
- Dreaming of Iceland? The Nordic country's affordable air carrier, Wow Air, has launched a new route connecting Chicago's O'Hare (ORD) to Keflavík (KEF). .
- Start planning your trip to the biggest balloon fiesta in the world, the 46th , which takes place October 7-15, 2017, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Check out the daily schedule of events.
- If you're looking for a summer steal, consider a last-minute getaway to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, where you can at Esperanza, an Auberge Resort.
- Enjoy summer in Amsterdam like the Dutch do. Conservatorium, a Popupla Favorite hotel, is offering a , which includes a private cycling tour, canal boat ride, and a picnic in Vondelpark through September 17, 2017. Rates start at €566.50 and require a two-night stay.
- The beautifully renovated is conducting a little VIP action during the annual Grachtenfestival, August's ten-day classical music showcase for emerging and established talent. Guests of the hotel can enjoy cocktails, bites, and concerts in the inner garden (8/13 and 8/16), not to mention incredible seats for The Pulitzer Concert, which is staged on pontoons floating on the water directly in front of the hotel. Really get into the spirit by booking the Music Collector's Suite, a two-room suite complete with a collection of vinyl, a vintage record player, and instruments.
If you want help planning any of these trips, email us at Popupla Travel Desk.to book through the
- Want to show mom Mother's Day love? Take her away. 21C, our favorite museum-cum-hotel in Lexington, Kentucky, is offering a for an overnight stay in corner room, $100 spa credit, breakfast, and a Malin + Goetz gift bag.
- One for the family: in upstate New York. The agenda includes A Jelly Bean Field Day and a magic show for the littles, tomahawk throwing and archery for the apathetic teens.
- It's Great Migration season though Serengeti National Park in Tanzania, and to celebrate the arrival of the zebras (by the hudreds of thousands!) and widebeests (a million of 'em!), .
- Do you do that thing where you go on vacation and find yourself planning your next vacation? We do, too. The folks at , a fantastic Tuscan hotel that we visited last year, will give guests who go to Italy . Yes, you'll be thanking your July vacation in January.