Is there a greater symbol of modern love than a carefully crafted mixtape? With each track noting the beautiful imperfections and, at times, impossible pursuits of romance?
The latest FATHOM mix, Love Notes, reads like an indulgent old country tune, shuffling together themes of love, loss, redemption, and sweet action — as fitting for Valentine's Day with a new paramour as a road trip with an old flame.
For those nerds of the narrative arc: The mix starts with songs for the rapture of new love, moves on to anthems about loss, continues with tunes to help you get your swagger back, and settles down with a few tracks that glimmer with the hope for new love.
Download and get down (iTunes)
1. "C'est si Bon," by Eartha Kitt
Translate that French. It's so good for a reason.
2. "God Only Knows," by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Straight out of Detroit. These fellas also do a mean cover of Steve Winwood's "Higher Love."
3. "Set Adrift On Memory Bliss," by P.M. Dawn
Prince Be, you get us every time.
4. "Between the Sheets," by The Isley Brothers
Classic seduction. Take notes.
5. "Work," by RJD2
You don't need to say much more when you sound like Alvin Robinson.
6. "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love," by Solomon Burke
He speaks the truth with this one.
7. "(My Heart) Is Closed for the Season," by Bettye Swayne
The scorned lover's anthem.
8. "You Always Hurt the One You Love," by Clarence "Frogman" Henry
We're all heartbreakers.
9. "Drinking Champagne," by Cal Smith
The ultimate drunken cowboy love ballad.
10. "Never Going Back Again," by Fleetwood Mac
Darn right crippling.
11. "Howlin' For You," by Black Keys
What more that needs to be said?
12. "Vivrant Thing," by A Tribe Called Quest
Work on that swagger.
13. "Lady Don't Tek No," by Laytrx
If this isn't one long compliment, who knows what is.
14. "I Want You to Want Me," by Cheap Trick
Memorize all the lyrics. You never know when you'll serenade someone with this one.
15. "Find Love," by Clem Snide.
Find love and then give it all away. Isn't that what it's all about?
16. "Just Breathe," by Pearl Jam
A great wedding ballad. Alternative first dance.
17. "When the Night Comes," by Dan Auerbach
Keep tugging on those heart strings.
18. "Bring It on Home," by Sam Cooke
Full of soul, tenderness, and simple lyrics about love. Even if the other person can't hear it.